MAS: When are patients in a care facility or school eligible for the service?

The MAS directions state that a patient cannot be registered for MAS where their "main or usual residence is a care home"

The directions also make reference to residential schools, saying that registration is permitted where "appropriate authority to provide consent on behalf of the patient, in place of the patient’s parent or guardian" is obtained.

The simplest way to answer this question is to ask another: does this patient ever live anywhere else other than the care home or special school in question? If the answer is yes, then the patient may be eligible. If not, and the only place the patient ever stays is the care establishment, then they are not eligible for MAS.